Sunday, February 10, 2013

New York Times Article

I think that its interesting, using the imagery of volcanos in a landscape to make a statement about the civil war. I remember learning that during the civil war photography was breaking through as a new form of art, so that that accurately documented the civil war, so the volcanic landscapes is an interesting take on the whole situation. I feel that American art is very set in landscape so the volcanic landscapes are almost a traditional way of paying homage to the civil war. Seeing this work, at first i thought of the lack of actual volcanos in America, none that I can think of in the north or south. But it made me realize that you can bring a little of the surreal into a classic landscape and still have it be an interesting piece.          

No comments:

Post a Comment